Monday, February 15, 2010

Critique Project 1


I was very pleased with the feedback I got from the class critique. I enjoy doing large group critiques with the whole class because I like to hear the concepts and processes of the drawings from each person in the class. I feel like most of that information is missed out on in small group critiques because the teacher usually isn't there to help stimulate conversation and I think students always like to hear what the professor has to say about their work. I think people get better feedback from the students and the teacher where in small groups there are less ideas expressed since there are less people discussing the work.
That being said, the class understood my drawing and received the feel that intended for the piece. I tried to create a lush, vegetation rich atmosphere with the feeling of overgrown chaos. The photographs I chose to work from came from the plants I have growing in my house. I have always been intrigued with the idea that we take nature from outside where it grows freely and then confine it to a pot and display it in our home to make it more comfortable. I addressed this concept last year in Drawing III, but I wasn't very successful in visually presenting it in an interesting way. I think I was much more successful this time around. The drawing is much more abstract and I liked the feedback I received about the use of peacock feathers in the piece. I was told that they add to the idea of ornamentation of the home, which I found to be a nice conceptual aspect that I didn't initially intend for the drawing. All in all I'm very pleased with the final drawing and a I think I've got a good start to the beginning of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment