Monday, May 17, 2010

Project III: Emulation Project, Brenda Zlamany







I was eager to begin this project, but I found it difficult to select the artist that I wanted to emulate. I wish I would have picked the initial artist that I wanted to emulate; Monet. I have always found inspiration in Monet's impressionist works. His naturalistic settings, on-sit creating, use of color, and ability to set the mood for a piece are aspects that I would have liked to visit in my own emulation. I decided against Monet since most of my pre-Stout artwork frequently emulated Monet as well. I wish I would have emulated Monet now, in my junior year of college, in order to show my growth as an artist.

Aside from that, I ultimately decided to emulate Chiara Albertoni, one of the artists I chose to write about in my paper. I wanted to revisit photo-realism this semester and I strongly identified with her work. I enjoyed her subject matter viewed in non-traditional perspectives. Her close up, slightly distorted images of natural subjects, her use of black and white, and the photo-realistic style were aspects of her work that I tried to emulate in my own drawing. I shot my own photographs for the piece and I had a lot of difficulty in deciding, which image to use. I had a few images that included the entire tree figure (shown above), which may have been more effective to emulate her work more precise. I tried to mesh the close up style of the flower images, with the content similar to her panned out tree pieces. I also wish I would have used a darker pencil and pushed the darks further in the image. I think the piece would emulate her work better if the contrast was boosted. Overall, I wish I would have done A LOT of different things with this project. I think the drawing is nice, but the process was tedious copying and with all of the work I put into it, I still don't love the finished piece...which is frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment