Sunday, February 27, 2011

Critique: Mapping Project


Revealing Derinkuyu's Underground City

I was pleased with the class's reaction to my drawing. We discussed the subtle images that seem to appear within the drawing that tend to detract from the overall visual. The facial image in the left corner is indeed distracting, but could be easily resolved. After looking and drawing the image from different angles for an extended period of time I was unable to see such defects in the drawing. I also think my knowledge of the actual images of the interior spaces I was creating, biased my ability too see the symbolism as well. In my paper I discussed the question of whether my drawing could stand on its own without an immediate connection to the specific conceptual information about the work. I questioned the importance of the artist statement being paired with the drawing and if necessary information was needed to convey the concept of the piece. According to the class's feedback, the drawing works on its own as well as paired with the artist statement, unless my intent is for the viewer to know exact historical information behind the piece. I intended for the drawing to speak of chaos and secrecy, which it successfully conveys. I don't find it necessary to know the specific information about Derinkuyu when initially viewing the drawing, but the artist statement provides help to the viewer if they are curious to move further than the visual. 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your drawing! The layering effect worked really well. And, even though there were unintended images hidden in the drawing, that is bound to happen with anything. It definitely speaks of chaos and secrecy, which you intended so overall I think it was very successful!

    ReplyDelete