Monday, March 21, 2011

Protest Project Proposal

Well I have to admit that I've been falling behind on my posting. Between school, work and my senior show, blogging always seems to get missed on my list of things to do. Now that my show is up I have NO further excuses!

We are having a closing reception THIS FRIDAY March 25th from 6-8pm. Anyone who reads this is absolutely invited to come join us for food and punch in the student gallery.

In regards to the upcoming project, I have given myself quite an ambitious goal for the final outcome of my piece. I have chosen to focus on the notion that there is much more to the issue at hand than the problems mentioned on the surface. I would like to focus on the fact that this has caused a war between the middle class. What's left of the middle class is now at war with itself between the public and private sectors. I will also focus on the idea that corporate America along with those in charge of our political system are saturated with corruption, greed and the ability to control through capitalist money. My piece will act as a sculptural drawing suspended in space. I plan to draw two "wealthy hands" of each a male and female to represent corporate America, big business, political representatives and all groups I find corrupt and in control of these circumstances. The hands will be adorned with items associated with wealth such as jewelry and proper attire. I intend to draw the two hands on a sturdy translucent surface (most likely shrinky dinks or some kind of gel medium) which I will be able to cut out and use as a free sculptural form. I plan to attach the hands to two puppeteer handles, which will be manipulating the strings of the middle class. On the ends of each string I will place metal shapes of the state of Wisconsin with photo transfers of working middle class people I know who have turned against eachother on their surfaces. I would like to display the piece with some form of wind, allowing the metal pieces to hit eachother, symbolic of the war against one another.

I am very excited about my concept for the piece...I just hope I can execute it!   

No comments:

Post a Comment